Dentonia Alumni attended Crescent School when it was located at Dentonia Park. We are very proud of our strong connection with these Men of Character, who represent Crescent’s deep tradition of leadership in boys’ education.
List of 3 items.
Crescent School’s Dentonia Years (1933-1970)
Crescent School moved to Dentonia Park, in east Toronto, in 1933. The Dentonia Park property was donated to Crescent School in 1933 by Susan Massey, the widow of Walter Massey, President of Massey-Harris Company. The generous donation to Crescent included a parcel of land, the Dentonia Park mansion and its contents, and its upkeep and maintenance.
With the larger Dentonia Park property, Crescent was able to expand its sports, arts and academic programs. Starting in 1937, up to 40 boys boarded at the School each year. School buses and later a fleet of taxis transported day boys between their homes and campus each day.
Crescent’s Dentonia era ended in 1970, when the School moved to its current location on Bayview Avenue. Reminders of Crescent's Dentonia Park heritage can be found on the Bayview campus. In particular, columns preserved from the Dentonia mansion are installed in Crescent's Formal Garden.
Headmasters during the Dentonia Years
Walter Williams (1930-1956) E.S. Carroll (1956-1958) J. Sean Buckley (1958-1964) Major Edward E. Senior (1964-1967) William Burridge (1967-1970)
Honouring Crescent School's Dentonia Heritage
In 2011, Crescent School’s Dentonia champion, Bruce Burgess '57, generously donated a meaningful gift to Crescent: the Portrait of a Boy in School Uniform by celebrated Canadian painter Fredrick Sproston Challener. The painting now hangs in Crescent School's Manor House.